Friday 16 January 2009

wadda ya mean its' over?

I am looking at my calendar right now, and the date says Jan 16th, 2009, but I can hardly believe it. Mentally I am still on holiday and I refuse to come back. Yes, I have been back at work for a few weeks now, and have been doing the necessary chores for living (laundry, cleaning, dog walking, food prep, etc snore snore) but I have been putting off the real work that signifies the start to a new year. Like updating my portfolio, starting a new illustration work, sorting through my closet, and the once yearly REFRIGERATOR CLEAN which involves washing everything down and throwing out all things 2008.

After a really good holiday, the come down can be brutal. I guess it's fair enough that I don't want to live in the real world just yet. Who wouldn't want a few more weeks of beaches, sleep ins, shared meals with friends, afternoons spent reading in the hammock, and absolutely zero responsibility other than feeding yourself and making sure to apply enough sunscreen.

But this is my last week of laze. I think that next week I am going to start a programme called 'Baby Steps Back to Reality: how to comfortably resettle into normal life after great, relaxing experiences.' I suspect its going to be one of those 6 week things, or maybe 12. (It's best not to under estimate the length of adjustment periods).

I have already made a list of things I need to do (baby step), bought a 2009 calendar (baby step), done my first blog post of the year (big baby step), and have wiped down the outside of the refrigerator (baby step). So maybe I have already gotten through week one of the programme. Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

I'll leave you with some holiday photos, ahh the south pacific summer!!! I hope you all had an equally good time :)

Christmas breakfast at my in laws country house

Muriwai, west coast beach

Mushrooms! and other food! we had some great meals with friends at the batch.

Can you spot the handmade ravioli? best meal of 2008.

Luke snapped this one of me dancing on the black sand beach, It was our 5th year wedding anniversary. Five years!

-k

5 comments:

Lies said...

Ah handmade ravioli!!! I just love that little riverdance there!!!
XXX

petal said...

Can you come and clean my fridge when you've done yours? Congrats on your wedding anniversary. I got a copy of World Sweet World the other day and thought your article was really good. Good luck with adjusting to reality, I'm still trying to ignore it.

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts said...

Wow! The in laws Christmas breakfast looks amazing, its making my mouth water. I'm taking baby steps too- some I've been forced into (like a 2009 calendar gifted to me) and others like selling all my clutter on trademe I've enjoyed doing myself. Good luck with You'll be on the other side in no time! x

Ruby in the Dust said...

hi there Kimberlee, nice to have you and Lies back. we've just returned from a most amazing late camping trip up north. I feel refreshed and ready to craft again! happy 5 years :)

Victoria said...

The breakfast looks practically perfect..
Happy 5th Anniversary.
The year always starts February 1st for me. I see January as preparation time and definately the time to do things like clean out the fridge, right on.